Pages

Mar 16, 2012

Find constipation relief in coffee and tea

Since I've changed my diet to be slightly lower carb (cutting out grains) and higher on healthy fats, coupled with a bit more exercise, constipation is rarely a problem for me. But as I approach 30 I've noticed more and more people my age complaining about it, and often turning to harmful laxatives to get them through it. Like most things I wish more people would treat the cause and not the symptom of what is wrong.. but that's another story.

Sometimes, though, you end up with it either due to illness or from a side effect from another drug. Nobody likes being constipated, plus it can cause other problems like headaches and lethargy - in other words it can really ruin your day.


Some natural options for constipation relief you might consider are:

  • Exercise, like walking, swimming, rebounding (jumping on a mini trampoline - fun!)
  • Drinking enough fluids
  • Probiotics - These help by making sure you're digesting things properly
  • Prune Juice
  • Magnesium supplements, like Natural Calm
My personal favorite for mild constipation is good ole coffee. One cup after breakfast is usually enough to do it. Simple, right?

There are also herbal teas available to treat constipation, like:
I have read that people often recommend Senna and Aloe Juice, personally I feel that these might be too irritating and I would only try them if other methods weren't working.

If you have chronic constipation and you don't know why, I would definitely recommend going to a doctor and taking a look at your lifestyle and the health choices you're making. What does your diet look like? Do you have a possible food allergy or intolerance (lactose intolerance can cause constipation)? Are you getting enough sleep, drinking enough water, exercising enough, sleeping enough?

I hope this has been helpful for you. And now for some reason I am craving chocolate...

For more information on constipation, check out these links:


0 comments:

Post a Comment